Below you will find information on:
The direct entry stream allows students from high school enter the first year of the program. Students with community college diplomas entering the program may receive up to 30 transfer credits.
The first year concentrates on social sciences, humanities and natural science courses, as well as the introductory level course "Introduction to Critical Social Work". In your second year, about one half of your courses will be in social work, while the rest will be "electives" that you choose from a wide selection of courses and disciplines. In the final year students will be involved in a field placement in a social service setting. This vital experience, arranged by the School, will provide important hands-on experience in a variety of community settings.
Gaining practical experience is a key element in this program. During the final year of studies, students spend three days a week in a social service agency working with a qualified and experienced social worker. Students complete their placements in a wide range of settings, including family and community services facilities.
Students applying from high school must have completed:
- a minimum of five additional 4U or M courses and ENG4U credits or equivalent and;
- must meet the Faculty's minimum grade requirement for admission (set yearly); or;
- completion of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent.
- To gain admission to this program, your academic average should be in the mid-80s
- If you are directly applying from a Canadian high school you do not submit a School of Social Work supplementary admission information form. York applications will be available from your high school guidance office.
For more information, click the following link to go directly to the York University application. Community college diploma holders must complete a York application available at futurestudents.yorku.ca and a School of Social Work Supplementary Admission Information form available on MYFILE upon completion of the York application. At the time of acceptance into the program, students' transfer credits will be assessed.
Current York Transfer Students must satisfy the minimum requirements for admission to the faculty and submit the online Supplementary Admission Information Form to the School of Social Work as well as an online Change My Program Form.
Because of high demand, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The School of Social Work cannot discuss application files with students who do not gain admission.
The application deadline for:
- Direct Entry External Supplementary Admission Information Form and accompanying documentation is: February 26, 2020 (Late documentation will not be accepted once a deadline has passed.)
Supplementary Admission Information form Deadline: February 26, 2020 (Late documentation will not be accepted once a deadline has passed.) .
- For Internal (York) Applicants, the York University application deadline is March 9, for the 2020/2021 academic year
- BSW Honours Direct Entry (Bachelor of Social Work)
- BSW Honours Direct Entry Major/Minor (Bachelor of Social Work)
Get detailed information on degree and program requirements to enter and graduate from this program.
(This information is to be used in conjunction with the University undergraduate calendar, which in all cases is the final authority).